The EU-Africa PerMed project (Building Links Between Europe and Africa in Personalised Medicine) has the overall aim of integrating African countries into ICPerMed activities, thus contributing to a successful implementation of Personalised Medicine (PM) in the global context. It will foster joint PM projects and programmes between Europe and Africa, as well as strengthening bilateral EU-AU science, technology and innovation (STI) relations in the area of health.
The project started on the 1st. of February 2021 and will last 4 years. It is implemented by a consortium of 13 partners, 6 from Europe and 7 from Africa and is organized around 7 main Work Packages:
- Coordination and management.
- Mapping the health R&I and policy landscape in Africa for the identification of key stakeholders, initiatives and expertise relevant to PM.
- Cross boarder collaboration and identifications of future actions in PM between Africa and Europe.
- Translating science to policy – Enhancing the dialogue between African countries and Europe in collaboration with ICPerMed and Era PerMed.
- Capacity building in Personalised Medicine.
- Communication and dissemination.
- Ethical issues.
As the COVID-19 pandemic is showing, addressing global health challenges is only possible by building and strengthening international, inter-continental and national scientific cooperation between scientists, decision/policy makers, private practitioners, industries and health professional and civil society. EU-Africa PerMed is working towards fostering a stronger global collaboration in PM through the umbrella of ICPerMed, and by this, to better tackle global health challenges such as infectious diseases and future pandemics as well as the prevention of non-communicable diseases (NCDs).